Raspberry Bars Raw Vegan Gluten Free

These raw gluten free Vegan Raspberry Oat Blueberry Bars are a natural red white and blue that are festive enough for a holiday or any day for breakfast or snack.
Raspberries and summer are just one of those things that seem to go hand in hand.  I fondly remember being invited over to my neighbor's house to go raspberry picking as a child.  If you didn't already know, I grew up in the country on 4 acres of land.  My parents just happen to live in the middle of no where so they could keep their big pets i.g. horses.  And then, because there was soo much land, why not get a donkey, a rabbit, a handful of dogs, some cats and adopt some kids too?
Anyhow, every summer one of our neighbors would graciously invite us over to pick and eat as many raspberries we could find.  There was row after row of beautiful berries hanging off the bushes just there for the taking.  I loved it.

I can't actually remember bringing any home.  It seemed as though we were there for hours picking but childhood memories are warped and we might have only been there 30 minutes.  Back then, I was oblivious to so many things like dirt, bugs and mosquito bites.  As soon as I found the perfect berry, I'd pluck it and pop it in my mouth.  No washing required.  They were probably even organic since this was back in the 80's and they grew wild.

I'm excited because one my friends has tons of black raspberries bushes and offered to give me her new shoots.  I accepted them but told her I'll take them next year since our yard/garden won't be ready in time this year.
If you saw my Raw Blueberry Bar post, I mentioned my son passed his Oat food challenge.  I made these almost entirely from certified gluten free rolled oats.  Trader Joe's has a huge 32 oz bag for under $3, that I ground into flour using my standard blender.  DIY oat flour will save you a ton of money since most 16 oz bags cost $6 or $7.

The raspberry flavor really comes through in these and are quickly disappearing from the freezer. :-)
Enjoy!

Ingredients
Bottom Layer
  • 3/4 cup oat flour
  • 2 T water
  • 1 T oil (I used palm shortening, use coconut oil if not allergic)
  • 1 T maple syrup
  • 1 T molasses
Blueberry Layer (Blue)
  • 1 cup pureed organic blueberries (frozen is better, be sure to thaw first)
  • 1 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3 T oil  (I used palm shortening, use coconut oil if not allergic)
Oat Layer (White)
  • 3/4 cup oat flour
  • 4 T water
  • 1 T oil (I used palm shortening, use coconut oil if not allergic)
  • 1 T white sugar
Raspberry Layer (Red)
  • 1 cup pureed organic raspberries (frozen is best, be sure to thaw first)
  • 1 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3 T oil (I used palm shortening, use coconut oil if not allergic)
Directions
  1. Bottom Layer: Melt shortening/coconut oil in microwave and combine with other ingredients.  Mix well.
  2. Press into a thin layer in an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper.  Place in freezer.
  3. Blueberry Layer: Puree blueberry in a food processor.  Melt oil and combine all remaining ingredients.  
  4. Press on top of bottom layer.  Place back into the freezer.
  5. Oat layer: Melt oil in microwave and combine with other ingredients.  Mix well.  
  6. Press on top of blueberry layer.  Put back into the freezer.
  7. Raspberry layer: Puree raspberry in a food processor.  Melt oil and combine all remaining ingredients.  Press on top of oat layer.
  8. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before removing and cutting.  Garnish with cocoa power or chocolate shavings.  (Note the fresher these are, the more vibrant the color.)  Enjoy now or freeze for later.

Some other things you may like: